Case Study / Al Maryah Island
- 12,000,000 SF mixed-use island
- 17 total plots including office, residential, and hotel uses
- Complete build-out of island utilities, roads, bridges, and seawall
- 3,408,000 SF mixed-use complex
- Four Class-A 30-36 office towers totaling 2,925,000 SF
- 230,000 SF Business Center/Stock Exchange
- 250,000 SF retail
- 5,000 parking stalls
- 480,000 SF 5-star hotel
- Situated on the south end of Sowwah Square
- 189 guest rooms and 131 serviced apartments
JBC, through its affiliate, John Buck International (JBI), provided infrastructure, development, and master plan management services for Mubadala, one of Abu Dhabi’s investment and development firms. Mubadala’s goal was to transform Sowwah Island into a new CBD with Sowwah Square as its focal point.
JBI more than doubled the size of Sowwah Island and added 3 billion dollars of infrastructure, including the seawall, utilities, bridges, and a multi-level road network. JBI also built the mass transit system connecting the island to the mainland transportation infrastructure. 17 total development plots were created for mixed office, residential, and hotel uses; and, all construction was completed on-time and within-budget.
After building out the necessary infrastructure, JBI then developed the jewel at the center of the development: Sowwah Square. JBI’s property management and leasing teams were able to anchor the four office towers, totaling nearly 3 million SF, with top-tier credit tenants, including Accenture, Deloitte, GE Corp, and JP Morgan. Sowwah Square was also built to host the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange, and remains a shining example of a meticulously planned and executed mixed-use community.